Happy New Year everyone!!
Hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe. Last year 2020, has been really tough on all of us with the whole coronavirus situation. With most of us staying home and trying to stay safe, spending our time indoors all the time has really taken a toll on our mental health. I am also one of them who has been feeling mixed emotions and anxious thoughts, feeling boredom and mundane at times. But life has to move on and we have to live with this corona situation for a while. So I have come up with a list of 10 Healthy Morning Habits To Follow in 2021 which I have been trying to follow and have really been helping my mental and physical health.
So, I thought I must share these with you, for any of you who want to kick start your day and be more productive and efficient. Taking the time out to refine your first few hours of waking can really help you have a healthier and fulfilling day
1. Wake up early – My very first morning habit is to wake up early at around 7:00 am. I have noticed that waking up early has many benefits that include being able to introspect and go through my morning routine in a more calm and relaxed manner. It also gives me time to get my daily exercise done
2. Hydrate – My next healthy morning habit right after waking up in the morning is to hydrate myself. So I make sure I have a jug full of warm water by my bedside and as soon as I wake up I make sure I have atleast two glasses full of lukewarm water. This has been really helping me stimulate my metabolism and digestion. I also make sure I keep having water throughout the day so my daily water intake is increased.
3. Wash your face- Make sure to wash your face with a cleanser, it helps in waking up and refreshes you for the day. This is also good for your skin as you remove all the dirt and oil build up from your face that has built up overnight and also remove any skincare products you have used the night before and lets your skin breathe.
4. Delay checking your phone – I know this is a tough one but avoid using any sorts of technology at least within the first hour of waking up. Make the first hour of waking up only about yourself. Using your phone first thing in the morning can make u feel stressed or anxious about certain things. This could be through any news notifications, your bank account balance or messages that need your attention right now. These could cause unnecessary stress first thing in the morning. Of course, we need to take care of all of those messages and mails but it need not be tackled right away. First thing we must do is be present in the moment and set the right frame of mind for the rest of the day.
5. Make your bed – Another morning habit I have to follow every day is Get Up and Make My Bed. I know it’s a very small task, but it’s this small chore that gives me a sense of accomplishment . When I make my bed it just gets my day started off right. It encourages me to do another task and then another and that way by the end of the day I have accomplished many tasks on my list . My room also looks much cleaner and less cluttered once my bed is made. It also gives me more mental peace .
6. Workout – I can’t stress enough over this, but having a daily exercise routine is very important for your overall mental and physical health. It can be as easy as going for a 30 minutes’ walk every morning. I personally love doing Zumba and dance workouts at home and make sure I don’t go without working out more than 3 days in a row. I usually workout for 60 minutes .
7. Be mindful and meditate – Practicing deep breathing and meditation is something I have started very recently and I feel it makes such a hell lot of difference to the entire tone of my day. I feel so calm and relaxed. Just take out 5 minutes to only focus on your breathing. You can do this sitting or lying down. You will see the difference in a few days.
8. Make a to-do list – I love making lists! And I like preparing a to-do list mostly a night before going to bed and usually just review my to do list every morning and plan the rest of my day accordingly.
9 . Let the Early Morning Sun In – The Best way to wake up your body naturally is by taking the morning sun in. Open your curtains and let the light come in. Getting the early morning sunlight has many health benefits as it affects hormones like cortisol, helps maintaining healthy blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol and body temperature.
10. Practice Gratitude – “Be thankful for what you have, you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never have enough. “
– Oprah Winfrey I love to spend some time with myself in the morning with my Journal as I sift through my thoughts and practice Gratitude. List out things Im grateful for and just be thankful in general. It’s also the perfect time to de-clutter your thoughts and plan out your day
Which of these morning habits would you like to start following this new year? It’s your turn to become the best version of yourself by following a Healthy Morning Routine.